Many different styles are created for Sippy cups, but a general purpose is to hold liquids inside the cup to avoid spills. Most generally, this is done with a configuration that contains the key cup, a spout, and some form of leak-proof valve. There are small sections and hard-to-reach corners in the sippy cups. How to Clean Sippy Cups which can easily catch milk or juice particles and harbor harmful moisture. The providing a perfect place for mold to flourish.
Since these are the most difficult places to properly clean, the most likely place you can find mold is in the spout, valve, or straw. This tiny sections can also be troublesome to remove, too, causing parents to assume that the valve is a permanent fixture on the lid.
If mold grows in a cup, rather than breathing it in, the main danger is an infection from ingesting the mold. If the sippy cups are not cleaned properly, mold may grow and babies may develop the following symptoms:
- Abdominal Cramps
- Breathing Difficulties
- Running nose
- Nasal Congestion
As spores are still present in the air, it is not possible to remove mold entirely from your life. However, to remove the fungus, it is possible to properly disinfect your baby’s sippy cup and make it safe for your little one to use once again.
Following are a few ways to wash sippy cups properly:
Rinse Immediately after Use
If you’re not going to wash your child’s cup right away, rinsing it quickly is a smart idea on how to clean sippy cups. This eliminates some of the particles of milk/juice, leaving less residue of food in the cup for mold spores to feed and spread.
Disassemble Sippy Cup Completely
Make sure you disassemble every part when you’re ready to wash your child’s sippy cup. In the tightest of spaces, food, milk, and juice particles get wedged, and this is where parents find mold most commonly. All parts must be accessible in order to thoroughly clean a sippy cup. Drop it if your sippy cup has a pop-up straw. There is a rubber stopper or other device usually inside the lid; remove this from the cup as well as any rubber rings around the outside to avoid leaks.
Soak in Hot Soapy Water
Make sure the water is hot enough for your sippy cups to be completely submerged. Soak them in thick, soapy water for 15 minutes; this will soften dried-on or sticky gunk, helping you to quickly clean it off. Alternatively, before soaking sippy cup sections in it, you should dissolve denture tablets in water. It even helps to get rid of persistent gunks in the cup and thinking of how to clean sippy cups.
Read More: How to Burp a Baby with Hiccups?
Clean Cups Properly
As they have been shown to harbor bacteria, stop using a sponge. For the insides of the sippy cups, use a sterile dishrag or bottle brush instead while considering how to clean sippy cups.
A nipple brush can help you get into the tiny spaces if your sippy cup has a spout. You should buy a straw brush to clean it if it has a straw. For visible mold, check the stopper and valve; clean it with a nipple or straw brush.
Pinch the plastic together to open the inside of the valve or closed spout, and you can obtain access. Lastly, wash the sippy cup’s lid. To ensure there are no remaining food particles or mold, thoroughly examine and disinfect any of the crevices. To reach through the narrow, difficult-to-clean holes in the lids or valves, you can use a toothpick, q-tip, pipe cleaner, or toothbrush.
Dry Cups Thoroughly
Although they still have moisture, never re-assemble or put away cups. Moisture is one of the main components of mold growth, and moisture may get stuck in tiny spaces and promote mold growth if you re-assemble your cups until they are dry. So, for good ventilation, allow your sippy cups to sit in a drying rack.
Read More: Chimichurri Recipe Jamie Oliver
Bleach, vinegar, and tea tree oil contain chemicals that destroy mold. However, if you use these substances, make sure to dilute them well and wash your child’s sippy cups after disinfecting them to eliminate any toxic traces. High heat often destroys bacteria, meaning that to destroy mold spores, steam sterilizers or hot water should be used.
They can, regrettably, catch tiny food particles and produce mold easily because of all the nooks and crannies found within sippy cups. You minimize the risk of supplying the three mold elements that need to develop successfully, food, water, and warmth, by completely separating them, thoroughly washing all components, and allowing them to dry reassembly before.